Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Life of Joseph: His Destiny and Yours Part 2

The Life of Joseph: His Destiny and Yours Part II
Read Genesis 39:1-23
 
 
Gen. 39:1-6
1. How is Joseph experiencing God’s favor?

 
2. What did Potiphar recognize in Joseph’s life?

 
Why is this important for us as Christ-followers today?


 
3. Why was Joseph successful?

 
Gen. 39:7-20
1. Why does Joseph decline Potiphar’s wife sexual advance? List 3 reasons.
 
 
“When I regarded God as a tyrant, I thought sin a trifle; but when I knew him to be my father, then I mourned that I could ever have kicked against him. When I thought that God was hard, I found it easy to sin; but when I found God so kind, so good, so overflowing with compassion, I smote upon my breast to think that I could ever have rebelled against one who loved me so, and sought my good (Spurgeon).”[1]
2. Looking at v. 10, what might it imply?
 
 
How is sin progressive? What can we learn from Joseph?

 
3. How does she respond to his rejection?

 
Gen. 39:21-23
1. What happens to Joseph while he is in prison?  
 
 
Let’s reflect on Joseph’s circumstances. Genesis 39:2 says, “The Lord was with Joseph, so he became a successful man.” Which from the outside looking in, he was successful. However, Gen. 39:21 also says, “the Lord was with him, he showed him kindness and granted him favor in the eyes of the prison warden.”

 
Prison=___________?

 
2. Does this look like favor from our perspective? Why or why not?

 
“Every time you venture out in your life of faith, you will find something in your circumstances that, from a commonsense standpoint, will flatly contradict your faith. But common sense is not faith, and faith is not common sense.”[2]
*Application-What does the life of Joseph and God’s Word teach us about our painful/confusing circumstances? Romans 5:3-5, Jeremiah 29:11, Romans 8:28


 
Reflection
1. What about your own life? Have you ever been falsely accused?

 
2. Have you ever felt abandoned by God? How did you respond?

 
On the way to his destiny Joseph would learn to trust in God’s ________.


[1]Guzik, David. "Study Guide for Genesis 39." Enduring Word. Blue Letter Bible. 7 Jul 2006. 2012. 6 Sep 2012.
<http:// www.blueletterbible.org/commentaries/comm_view.cfm?
AuthorID=2&contentID=7359&commInfo=31&topic=Genesis>
[2] Oswald Chambers and James Reimann, My Utmost for His Highest - Updated, Rev Upd ed. (Grand Rapids. MI: Discovery House Publishers, 2006), Aug. 29.

2 comments:

  1. First, just want to say that I also remember the Christian Bookstore! :)

    Great lesson: What spoke to me this week was the part about having a head knowledge and not a heart knowledge. I teach the basics of these lessons to my younger students and miss things. I want them to understand what happened and God's role in it, but what is our role in it? I do try to push them towards putting this to use in their lives, but I know as a child I was just learning the stories and that is what I see in them.

    Thanks for the great scriptures. I liked how you brought Romans 5:3-5, Jeremiah 29:11, and Romans 8:28 together. Those are all verses we here apart, but they really bring about a message together. I am working on some scripture memorization and you just added a couple more. :)

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britni,
      That's too funny that you remember that store. I knew I wasn't making it up!

      Thanks for your thoughtful reply. The move from a head knowledge to a heart knowledged is something I know I've been experiencing. I'm glad to hear you are too, that means you're wanting to dig deeper. A heard a wise woman say once, "God will not reveal His treasures to the idol page turner." I think it can also be said that God will reveal His treasures to the woman/man who digs into His Word to know Him more.

      You ask a very good question. What is our role in it? A question we should all be asking ourselves when we read the Holy Scriptures. I think we can have a general idea of the message God desires to bring to us through the scriptures but sometimes how we apply that will be different. For example, some will read the story of Joseph and learn about forgiveness, others will learn about perseverance under trail.

      I think what you're doing with the kids is great. They're learning the Word of God and that's a beautiful thing. As you learn more, you can pass that along to them in practical ways as well.

      Yes, memorize scripture! Praise God! Britni, this is so important. It will change your life:). I'm excited for you and the things God has in store for you as you seek His face!

      P.S. Don't feel down about missing things...I do all the time! God's Word is so rich and deep we will never discover all it's treasures!

      Blessings,
      Andrea<><

      Delete